Thursday, November 13, 2014

Close and Critical Reads


Close reading is when a person dives deeper into a text to figure out what it all means. How does this connect to something else I have read? What is the main idea? How are the author's ideas organized? What are some of the key words I need to understand, and how are they related?

Critical reading occurs when that person digs even deeper into the text. How do I feel about what I just read? What is the author not saying? Does this have anything to do with me? How does the author feel? Does the author do a good job in communicating their ideas? If I was the author, what would I do differently? How does this connect to the world around me? Can I figure out motivation? What questions do I still have?

The human mind is like a lightbulb. Even when the lightbulb is on, it can become dusty and dim. When someone can read a piece of text, the lightbulb is on. They recognize the letters and words, but they can't really see what it means because everything is a bit dark. Reading closely and critically dusts off the lightbulb. When it shines brightly, the person sees and understands how the world really works. Click the the image above, or right here to begin dusting off your lightbulb.

No comments:

Post a Comment